Monday, October 29, 2007

Botany Lab Week 2



This week I was able to spend more time looking at the aquarium, because I already knew most of what was inside of it. I did see some knew things though. I had not noticed the first week, but there were diatoms on the moss that I had but in it, and now they are EVERYWHERE. There had to be over 1 or 2 thousand of them. I also saw a large amount of cyanobacteria,



but was unable to tell if it was all one type or if there were more than one species.


I also many of the same creatures from last time. I saw a large increase of rotifers. Now there are about 40 of them. There was also a huge jump in the number of “shrimp things.” Now I know that they are called amphipods, and there are about 30 of them. There was a small rise in the daphnia population which is now at 10. I also saw 5 or 6 copepods (Cyclops), which is more than the 2 I saw the other week. Another thing that intrigued me was the seed shrimp. I saw one, but there was another “shell” in the water. I would like to know if it was alive, dead, or if the one in there shed it.

Other things that I found interesting was that I did not see a single paramecium, but I did not look very hard for one, there were green flipping things that I was not able to identify, and this:
if you look carefully to the right of the organism, you can see the outline of 2 flagella.

No comments: